LDraw.org is a collaborative effort by users of the LDraw program created by James Jessiman which represents official parts produced by the LEGO group. Since James' passing, the original LDraw software package remains exclusively the intellectual property of James' immediate family. LDraw™ is a trademark owned and licensed by the Estate of James Jessiman
Content © 2002-2020 LDraw.org. All content created specifically for LDraw.org,
including but not limited to images, HTML code, and original unique content falls
under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license.
All other content (e.g programs and images not specificially made for LDraw.org by LDraw.org volunteers) made available on this site are subject to their individual respective licenses and are used with permission.
LDraw.org Parts Library Agreement
The following is the README text for the LDraw Parts Library licenced by the Creative Commons Attribution Licence 2.0 as specified by the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement (CA). Parts which fall under this agreement will contain the following line in their headers:
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt
However this text is not a license! It is simply a handy reference for understanding the Legal Code (the full license), which can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode — it is a human-readable expression of some key terms. Think of it as the user-friendly interface to the Legal Code beneath. This text itself has no legal value and its contents do not appear in the actual licence. For a deeper insight please visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
You are free:
- to copy - distribute, display, and use the CA approved LDraw Parts Library
- to make derivative works
- to make commercial use of the CA approved LDraw Parts Library
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution - You must give the original author credit.
The LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) also holds an attribution to 'The LDraw Parts Library' in such Derivative Works to be sufficient in lieu of a full list of authors.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the licence terms of this library.
Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
The single copyright holders are the sole entity responsible for enforcements of their copyrights. For purposes of enforcement LDraw.org considers the following good rules of thumb to determine if a new file is not a Derivative work. Anything else should be considered a Derivative work and an attribution would be required. If in doubt contact the current LDraw SteerCo.
What is not considered a Derivative work?
- Rendered images generated from the LDraw library. Rendering here covers any conversion of a 3D model file into a 2D image.
- Model files containing references only (the source code for the part may NOT be included in any form) to parts in the official LDraw Parts Library at the time of their creation. Part files which are marked as unofficial at the time of creation may be included in full in the model file. If the sole or main purpose (as determined by the LDraw SteerCo in consultation with the potentially offending author and LDraw community at large) of the Model file is to include large numbers of unofficial parts then it WILL be considered a derivative work.
- Alternative libraries of parts which LDraw.org does not own or enforce the copyright. If some or more of the parts in the library are converted from the LDraw Parts Library then they must be considered a Derivative work.
LDraw.org, July 2007
LDraw All-In-One-Installer Agreement
The following is the README text for the LDraw All-In-One-Installer licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States. However this text is not a license! It is simply a handy reference for understanding the Legal Code (the full license), which can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/legalcode — it is a human-readable expression of some key terms. Think of it as the user-friendly interface to the Legal Code beneath. This text itself has no legal value and its contents do not appear in the actual licence. For a deeper insight please visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/.
You are free:
- to share - to copy, distribute, display, and use the LDraw All-In-One-Installer
- to make commercial use of the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution. You must attribute the LDraw All-In-One-Installer in the manner specified by the LDraw Community or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the LDraw All-In-One-Installer).
- No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this LDraw All-In-One-Installer.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this LDraw All-In-One-Installer.
Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
LDraw.org, October 2008
Copyright of rendered images
The LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) has been questioned about LDraw.org's policy (as expressed by the Contributor Agreement, other documentation, or tradition) on third parties capitalising on the considerable volunteer time, effort, and ingenuity represented by the part library and the LDraw system?
As stated in the README text for the LDraw Parts Library, licensed by the Creative Commons Attribution Licence 2.0 as specified by the LDraw Contributor Agreement (CA), the SteerCo does not believe that rendered images of models, created by the LDraw Parts Library and used in building instructions (on- and/or offline), books or posters, are covered by the copyright of the parts. LDraw.org will not attempt to enforce any such copyright as may exist. As such the release of rendered instructions using the library are believed to be covered only by the licenses of the software used to create them.
POV-Ray files - containing some or more converted parts from the LDraw Parts Library - used to generate said renders are considered derivative work and would require proper attribution.
Should any person wish to use LDraw models for building instructions or other rendered images for sale or otherwise the LDraw SteerCo would appreciate that the items include due credit to reward the efforts of all those who have contributed to the library. Furthermore, where possible, the SteerCo would also appreciate a donation be made to help defray server costs. This is, however, not by any means a requirement.
Paying tribute to the fact that LDraw.org is a completely volunteer organization the SteerCo prefers workmanship contribution, such as part authoring, parts reviewing, writing programs or tutorials over financial return.
LEGO® is a registered trademark of the Lego Group, which does not sponsor, endorse, or authorize this site. Visit the official Lego website at http://www.lego.com.
LDraw™ is a trademark owned and licensed by the Estate of James Jessiman