What others say about us (from Wikipedia.org):
"LDraw is a popular system of free software tools for modeling Lego creations in 3D on a computer. The LDraw file format and original program were written by James Jessiman. He also modeled many of the original parts in the parts library that is central to the programs and is under continuous maintenance and extension by the LDraw community. In 1997, Jessiman died. Since then, a variety of programs have been written that use the LDraw parts library, and file format."
LDraw.org is a completely volunteer organization. It relies on the contributions of community members to function and advance. LDraw.org volunteers serve on the Steering Committee, content team, parts library administration and other subgroups that allow LDraw.org to function.
The LDraw Organization
In Feburary 2004, an LDraw community vote was held to ratify the LDraw.org Bylaws drafts. The vote was concluded on February 26, 2004, and the bylaws were ratified with a final vote of 52-4. This decisive move by members of a loosely organized internet community ushered in a democratic framework for LDraw.org governance which did not exist prior.
The LDraw Organization is governed under the following documents:
- The LDraw.org Bylaws - This document lays out the rules that govern the organization.
- The LDraw.org Policies and Procedures - The bylaws call for certain actions to be accomplished by various members of the organization. This document lays out the method by which these actions will be accomplished.
Goals of the Organization
As defined by the LDraw.org Bylaws, the purposes of the organization are to:
- Maintain and distribute the core LDraw properties, the file format and parts library, as free and extendable resources for everyone's benefit, in the spirit of the late James Jessiman, which started the project in 1995.
- Develop and maintain the LDraw file format.
- Foster communication among people interested in virtual LEGO building.
- Promote the virtual LEGO hobby through online resources, events, media exposure, literature, etc.
- Support developers of new and innovative LDraw software.
- Represent the interests of the LDraw/virtual LEGO builders' community to The LEGO Company, LEGO fan organizations, clubs, educators, organizers of special events, the CAD industry and the like.
- Adapt and respond to other existing and potential future LEGO CAD formats, whether fan developed, existing CAD formats, or formats released by The LEGO Company.
The organization is governed by the LDraw.org Steering Committee, a five-member board elected annually by the members of the organization.
Focused committees work underneath the Steering Committee as caretakers of the organization's resources.
LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) - an elected technical standards board charged with discussing, ratifying, and publishing LDraw file format specifications. See the LSC Charter for more information. The LSC is defined as a Special Interest Group under the LDraw.org Bylaws.
Content managers - are responsible for the creation and maintenance of pages on this site as well as moderating discussions about site planning. They also manage voting for LDraw.org's contests and handle communication within the LDraw community. We are constantly looking for content editors, HTML junkies, programmers, etc who can help out on different sections of the site. You don't have to quit your day job to help us out either - most of the individual tasks we need done can be completed in an evening or two's worth of time. Its a great way to give back to the community for something you got for free as well! If you would like to get involved writing tutorials or software reviews please contact the webmasters for more info. There address can be found below.
Parts Library Administrators - organize and release parts updates, and rely on community members who serve as Parts Reviewers to check submitted parts for quality. If you have skills to offer, and would like to get involved with part authoring or reviewing please contact the PT admins for more info. There address can be found below.
Please remove the spamblockers from the addresses:
webmasterSPAMBLOCKER@ldraw.org - please direct all queries about the website to this address.
parts@SPAMBLOCKERldraw.org - to submit parts, you must be authorized as an author on the Parts Tracker and have read and affirmed the Contributor Agreement. To become authorized as an author you must first register with the LDraw.org Forum (it's free) and then send an email using this address to the Parts Library Admin with your true first and last names and your LDraw.org username. You must also include the statement "I accept the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement with regards to all past and future contributions I make to LDraw.org".
To get reviewer access also send an email to the Parts Library Admin, giving your LDraw.org username and a brief overview of your experience with LDraw.
http://forums.ldraw.org - The Official Discussion Forums of LDraw.org is the right place for all those who need a helping hand with software, parts, seek advice and tips or want to contribute in any other form. The forums are open to everyone to read but registration is required for writing.