Legal Info: Legal Info
LDraw.org is a collaborative effort by users of the LDraw program created by James Jessiman which represents official parts produced by the LEGO group. Since James' passing, the original LDraw software package remains exclusively the intellectual property of James' immediate family. LDraw™ is a trademark owned and licensed by the Estate of James Jessiman
Content © 2002 LDraw.org. All content created specifically for LDraw.org, including but not limited to images, HTML code, and original unique content falls under the OpenContent Licence (OPL). Individual programs made available for download from this site are subject to their individual respective licenses and are used by permission.
This document outlines the principles underlying the OpenContent (OC) movement and may be redistributed provided it remains unaltered. For legal purposes, this document is the license under which OpenContent is made available for use.
The original version of this document may be found at http://www.opencontent.org/opl.shtml
Terms and Conditions for Copying, Distributing, and Modifying
Items other than copying, distributing, and modifying the Content with which this license was distributed (such as using, etc.) are outside the scope of this license.
- You may copy and distribute exact replicas of the OpenContent (OC) as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the OC a copy of this License along with the OC. You may at your option charge a fee for the media and/or handling involved in creating a unique copy of the OC for use offline, you may at your option offer instructional support for the OC in exchange for a fee, or you may at your option offer warranty in exchange for a fee. You may not charge a fee for the OC itself. You may not charge a fee for the sole service of providing access to and/or use of the OC via a network (e.g. the Internet), whether it be via the world wide web, FTP, or any other method.
- You may modify your copy or copies of the OpenContent or any portion of it, thus forming works based on the Content, and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
a) You must cause the modified content to carry prominent notices stating that you changed it, the exact nature and content of the changes, and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the OC or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License, unless otherwise permitted under applicable Fair Use law.
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the OC, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the OC, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it. Exceptions are made to this requirement to release modified works free of charge under this license only in compliance with Fair Use law where applicable.
- You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to copy, distribute or modify the OC. These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by distributing or translating the OC, or by deriving works herefrom, you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or translating the OC.
- BECAUSE THE OPENCONTENT (OC) IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE OC, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE OC "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK OF USE OF THE OC IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE OC PROVE FAULTY, INACCURATE, OR OTHERWISE UNACCEPTABLE YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
- IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MIRROR AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE OC AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE OC, EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Parts Library Agreements
LDRAW.ORG PARTS LIBRARY AGREEMENT
The following is the README text for the LDraw Parts Library licenced by the Creative Commons Attribution Licence 2.0 as specified by the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement (CA). Parts which fall under this agreement will contain the following line in their headers:
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt
However this text is not a license! It is simply a handy reference for understanding the Legal Code (the full license), which can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode — it is a human-readable expression of some key terms. Think of it as the user-friendly interface to the Legal Code beneath. This text itself has no legal value and its contents do not appear in the actual licence. For a deeper insight please visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
You are free:
- to copy - distribute, display, and use the CA approved LDraw Parts Library
- to make derivative works
- to make commercial use of the CA approved LDraw Parts Library
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution - You must give the original author credit.
The LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) also holds an attribution to 'The LDraw Parts Library' in such Derivative Works to be sufficient in lieu of a full list of authors.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the licence terms of this library.
Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
The single copyright holders are the sole entity responsible for enforcements of their copyrights. For purposes of enforcement LDraw.org considers the following good rules of thumb to determine if a new file is not a Derivative work. Anything else should be considered a Derivative work and an attribution would be required. If in doubt contact the current LDraw SteerCo.
What is not considered a Derivative work?
- Rendered images generated from the LDraw library. Rendering here covers any conversion of a 3D model file into a 2D image.
- Model files containing references only (the source code for the part may NOT be included in any form) to parts in the official LDraw Parts Library at the time of their creation. Part files which are marked as unofficial at the time of creation may be included in full in the model file. If the sole or main purpose (as determined by the LDraw SteerCo in consultation with the potentially offending author and LDraw community at large) of the Model file is to include large numbers of unofficial parts then it WILL be considered a derivative work.
- Alternative libraries of parts which LDraw.org does not own or enforce the copyright. If some or more of the parts in the library are converted from the LDraw Parts Library then they must be considered a Derivative work.
LDraw.org, July 2007
LDraw All-In-One-Installer Agreement
The following is the README text for the LDraw All-In-One-Installer licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States. However this text is not a license! It is simply a handy reference for understanding the Legal Code (the full license), which can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/legalcode — it is a human-readable expression of some key terms. Think of it as the user-friendly interface to the Legal Code beneath. This text itself has no legal value and its contents do not appear in the actual licence. For a deeper insight please visit: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/.
You are free:
- to share - to copy, distribute, display, and use the LDraw All-In-One-Installer
- to make commercial use of the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution. You must attribute the LDraw All-In-One-Installer in the manner specified by the LDraw Community or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the LDraw All-In-One-Installer).
- No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this LDraw All-In-One-Installer.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this LDraw All-In-One-Installer.
Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
LDraw.org, October 2008
Copyright of rendered images
The LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) has been questioned about LDraw.org's policy (as expressed by the Contributor Agreement, other documentation, or tradition) on third parties capitalising on the considerable volunteer time, effort, and ingenuity represented by the part library and the LDraw system?
As stated in the README text for the LDraw Parts Library, licensed by the Creative Commons Attribution Licence 2.0 as specified by the LDraw Contributor Agreement (CA), the SteerCo does not believe that rendered images of models, created by the LDraw Parts Library and used in building instructions (on- and/or offline), books or posters, are covered by the copyright of the parts. LDraw.org will not attempt to enforce any such copyright as may exist. As such the release of rendered instructions using the library are believed to be covered only by the licenses of the software used to create them.
POV-Ray files - containing some or more converted parts from the LDraw Parts Library - used to generate said renders are considered derivative work and would require proper attribution.
Should any person wish to use LDraw models for building instructions or other rendered images for sale or otherwise the LDraw SteerCo would appreciate that the items include due credit to reward the efforts of all those who have contributed to the library. Furthermore, where possible, the SteerCo would also appreciate a donation be made to Peeron.com as hosts of LDraw.org (a Paypal Donation Button can be found in the top left-hand corner of LDraw's homepage). This is, however, not by any means a requirement.
Paying tribute to the fact that LDraw.org is a completely volunteer organization the SteerCo prefers workmanship contribution, such as part authoring, parts reviewing, writing programs or tutorials over financial return.
LEGO® is a registered trademark of the Lego Group, which does not sponsor, endorse, or authorize this site. Visit the official Lego website at http://www.lego.com.